Faculty and Staff Resources

Guides, resources, and information for UW–Madison faculty and staff to help support students experiencing issues including personal challenges, mental and physical health issues, how to talk to students you are concerned about, and verbal de-escalation.

Disability-related accommodations

Students with disabilities can apply for a disability-related accommodation through the McBurney Disability Resource Center.

Other accommodation requests

How to handle accommodation requests for religious observances, pregnancy, parenting or other life events.

Virtual Classroom Environments

University of Wisconsin–Madison is committed to promoting a safe learning environment that is free from disruption and harassment. We will continue to uphold these standards in the online environment and expect students to conduct themselves in the same manner as if they were taking their classes in person. Review helpful tips and resources to navigate the virtual classroom experience: Managing Online Classroom Environments.


Whether it’s a feeling that cheating might have taken place, or something more serious, misconduct is typically handled in two ways: Academic or Non-Academic. The Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards are the people who help guide faculty, staff, and students through these situations.

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Academic Misconduct

This may involve questions of academic integrity which include honesty, trust, fairness, respect, and responsibility. Some examples of academic misconduct include, plagiarism, cheating, copying homework, and stealing an exam or course materials.

The Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards can help guide you through the process of reporting academic misconduct.

Learn more about academic misconduct

Report academic misconduct

Non-Academic Misconduct

This may include things like reporting hate or bias, sexual violence, hazing or other issues that may work against the university’s living and learning environment that is safe and free from violence, harassment, fraud, theft, disruption, and intimidation.

Learn more about non-academic misconduct

Report non-academic misconduct

How does FERPA apply?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that governs the privacy of student educational records, access to those records, and disclosure of information from them.

Discussing a student you are concerned about with the Office of Student Assistance and Support is permitted by FERPA if the discussion relates to the student’s experience at UW–Madison or could help the university support the student. Additionally, talking with any campus office that can help you assist the student directly is also permitted by FERPA. The Registrar’s Office has more information on student rights protected under FERPA.

Responding to a specific concern

Mental health support

Guidance on what to do when you observe a student who may be struggling emotionally.

Disordered eating

Supporting students health and well being, including what to do, and what not to do.

Student anxiety

How to recognize symptoms, types of anxiety, what to do, and what not to do.

Your syllabus language

What to include to support students who may be struggling with mental health issues.

Demanding behavior

Working with students who may be intrusive, persistent and require extra time and attention.

Crisis loan/financial support

Crisis loans can support students experiencing financial hardship.

Disoriented/psychotic behavior

Working with students who may show signs of disorientation or psychotic behavior.

Death of a student

How to support your students and campus community when a student death occurs.

Dean’s Certification

What is the Dean’s Certificate?

Many transfer, graduate, law, medical, and professional schools require the completion of a Dean’s Certification or disciplinary clearance. To expedite the process, all requests can be made through the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.

What students will have to do.

Students must take all Dean’s Certification to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards, directions can be found on their website.

Current students, former students, and alum have the right to inspect their records, consistent with federal law. Request your record.


Office of Student Assistance and Support

How can we help?

Call us at:

Email us at:

Line art image of Bascom Hall at the University of Wisconsin–Madison

Office of Student Assistance and Support
70 Bascom Hall
500 Lincoln Drive Madison, WI 53706-1380

Monday-Friday: 8:30am - 11:30am, 1pm - 4pm during Summer

After Hours Contacts

Crisis response:
Call Mental Health Services
608-265-5600 (option 9)
Dial 911 for immediate help from the
UW Police Department
UWPD Non-emergency line: 608-264-2677